Friday 19 October 2018

Top Ten Things You Might Not Know About Me

  • I am a member of the Manitoba Sportswriters and Sportscasters' Association Roll of Honour (basically, the organization's Hall of Fame).
  • For the last eight years I was employed at CKLQ/STAR-FM, I was also the Assistant News Director (and a 7-month stint as interim News Director), covering the municipal 'beat' on multiple occasions.
  • Alongside the incomparable Bill Turner, I anchored our stations' coverage of the 2011 flood in Brandon (Westman) including the twice-daily updates from City Hall.
  • Earlier this decade, I spent three years attending night classes at Assiniboine Community College (Continuing Studies) to obtain a Management Skills Certificate.
  • I am a Level IV certified Softball Canada umpire, the Umpire-in-Chief for the Westman/Parkland region and sit on Softball Manitoba's Umpire Development Committee.
  • I was inducted into Softball Canada's Indicator's Club (recognizing volunteer contributions to the Softball Canada Umpire Program) in 2013.
  • I have been host committee chair for Softball Manitoba Championships held in the City of Brandon the last six years, and we've secured the 2019 Softball Manitoba U14 'A' Girls' Championship for next July at the Ashley Neufeld Softball Complex.
  • My mother's cousin, Garth Boesch, won three Stanley Cups as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs (1947, 1948 & 1949).
  • I was one of several (close to 50) junior hockey play-by-play announcers whose story was told in a book entitled Hockey Talk: Stories Behind the Voice by M. Gordon Hunter.
  • My name was added to Hansard (Manitoba Legislature Transcript) during the 41st Legislature in May of 2016 by request of current Brandon West MLA Reg Helwer as part of the roll call for the 2016 WHL Champion Brandon Wheat Kings.
Bonus
  • I was an extra, and made a brief appearance in the movie 'Keep You Head Up; The Don Cherry Story' that was partially filmed in Brandon.



No comments:

Post a Comment